Monday, April 8, 2013

Deja Vu

Heavy rainfalls hit Japan on Saturday. It was cold, miserable and wet. The day after, we were estimating the damages caused by the rain and winds. Fortunately nothing serious happened, and miraculously I found all my plants well put on their spot on the balcony. Although the wind was still incredibly strong, and that's why I gave up on a morning jog, the Sunday weather was otherwise gorgeous. Warm and inviting to go out. 

For my lunch date I flashed a cute red skirt with a strapless black top, spring jacket and sunglasses. I was dressed to kill, I realized later, and I was not the only one to realize it. I had enough time to go back home and change into humbler clothes before my dinner date of the day, a different one. And while I was in the train, returning home from the city, constantly turning the volume of the music in my ipod higher in order to cover the noise of the subway, it came to me…..

Lunch: meet a Frenchman, compare experiences in Japan, talk about respective exes, yes the ones one blames for their present situation, talk about the past, talk about our respective future (not together!!), goals and hopes, agree to meet soon, kiss goodbye, thanks for the company, go home.

Dinner: meet a Canadian man, compare experiences in Japan, talk about respective exes, yes, the recent ones one is not yet over with, talk about the past, talk about our respective future (again, not together!), goals and hopes, agree to meet soon, kiss goodbye, thanks for the company, go home.

Exactly, a deja vu. But, different people, different parts of the city, different degrees of friendship, different comfort zones…oh, different outfits, yes. I cannot show up at my friend's place in the same nice dress for two reasons. One is that I am cooking and a tight strapless dress is not ideal, and the other one is that I don't want my tight strapless dress being covered in dog hair and drool. No. Love you, cute furry thunder storm, but I can't let you do that. 

The train curved, sneaking fast inside its concrete tube, and not even the music by Evanescence could make it against the acute echoing of steel clashing with steel. I was going home in the night of a day when I lived twice.


No comments:

Post a Comment