Sunday, May 11, 2014

Easter 2014

Imagine you live by yourself in a foreign country, like Japan. Imagine you are flying form Japan to Sicily to see your family. Imagine to arrive on the night before Easter, very late. Imagine to wake up the morning after in a house with 10 other family members. Imagine you all are sent out to egg hunt….

That is me on Easter day, re-united with the entire family mum, dad, brothers, their wives and their children. We have established now this tradition to all go search for all the eggs and chocolates that lay hidden around the house, then sit at the table and have breakfast (with the eggs we found). It certainly is not an Italian tradition, it comes indeed from the German side of the family. I find it a beautiful thing, and you see the kids love it. They scramble around, they run around the house, they jump when they find their presents. 

Being home and waking up to greet everybody is one of the best moments of my holidays with the family, one I'll always remember with affection. Also, I am appreciating more and more the landscape and its changes over the seasons : I love the golden colors of summer, when wheat is ready to be harvested, I love spring with its explosion of colors (poppies, daisies, violets, roses and such), the bright green hills, the wheat fields that look like a sea of green waves in the wind, the various types of fruit I can pick from trees in our garden…every time I go I can't but get on my car and drive around, to the mountains, to the seaside, to every place I can reach and capture with my camera.

I was home alone for a weekend, when my parents took a couple of friends on a trip to the forest and the mountain (yeah, surprise, we have them both too). I have to confess it felt awkward being home alone: I was in my childhood house and yet I wasn't totally comfortable to have all that space for myself. There were many sounds I didn't recognize. I mean night birds, dogs barking, the wind, those sounds I know. But the sounds in and around the house, those I didn't know. That noise I heard while in bed, was it trees scratching the walls or was it something else? An owl resting on the balcony or a wild dog sniffing around? I had a hard time falling asleep that night. 

The main activity though was to meet relatives, answer to their questions (the very same repeated a hundred times) and then listen to their preaching about how I should live my life (the very same instructions repeated a hundred times). But I am getting better in making my point and defend my case…the very same explanation repeated a hundred times. 

***********

Immaginate di vivere da soli in terra straniera, tipo Giappone. Immaginate di viaggiare dal Giappone alla Sicilia per vedere la famiglia. Immaginate di arrivare la notte prima di Pasqua, tardissimo. Immaginate di svegliarvi l'indomani in una casa con 10 altri membri della famiglia. Immaginate di fare la caccia alle uova….

Questo succede a me il giorno di Pasqua, do nuovo insieme con l'intera famiglia mamma, papa', fratelli, cognate, nipoti. Abbiamo iniziato la tradizione di cercare le uova e la cioccolata che si trovano nascoste in giro per la casa, poi ci sediamo a tavola per fare colazione (con le uova trovate). Non e' una tradizione italiana e di fatto viene dalla parte tedesca della mia famiglia, ma e' pur sempre una cosa bella. E i bambini la adorano, infatti stanno la' a cercare, gironzolare e rallegrarsi quando trovano i loro regali.

Essere a casa, svegliarsi e rivedere tutti e' uno dei momenti migliori delle vacanze in famiglia, uno di quelli che ricorderò sempre con affetto. Apprezzo sempre di più anche il paesaggio e i cambiamenti nel corso delle stagioni: i gialli oro dell'estate, quando tutto il frumento e' pronto per essere raccolto, l'esplosione di colori della primavera, i fiori, i frutti che posso sempre raccogliere in giardino, le colline verdi con i loro campi di grano mossi dal vento….ogni volta che torno non posso far altro che salire in macchina e andare dappertutto, montagne, mare, ovunque ci siano posti da immortalare nelle mie foto.

Sono stata a casa da sola un fine settimana, mentre i miei hanno portato una coppia di amici in giro per boschi e montagne (sorpresa: ce li abbiamo anche noi). Confesso che e' stato strano essere soli a casa: ero nella casa della mia infanzia eppure non mi sentivo completamente a mio agio in quello spazio tutto per me. C'erano suoni che non riconoscevo. Dico, gli uccelli notturni, cani che abbaiano, questi suoni li conosco. Ma i rumori in giro per la casa, quelli non li conoscevo. Quel rumore che sentivo mentre ero a letto, erano gli alberi che sbattevano sul muro esterno o qualcos'altro? Era una civetta che si riposava in balcone o un cane che gironzolava fuori? Ho avuto qualche difficoltà a addormentarmi quella sera. 


Comunque, l'attività principale e' stat quella di rivedere i parenti, rispondere alle loro domande (sempre le stesse ripetute un centinaio di volte) e poi ascoltare le loro prediche su come vivere la mia vita (le stesse istruzioni ripetute un centinaio di volte). Ma sto migliorando nel rispondere e difendere il mio caso….la stessa spiegazione ripetuta un centinaio di volte.










2 comments:

  1. Quanto e' bella casa tua… xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe, in aprile piu' verde che mai! E i colori sono proprio quelli, nessun ritocco!! xxx

    ReplyDelete