Saturday, June 7, 2014

My friend is a Guru

We're officially into the rainy season again, and with it comes the state of misery and uneasiness we inevitable fall in. Damp air doesn't relieve us from the heat of Japanese summers, grey and rainy days don't leave us many options but wishing to be in bed all day. The air stinks, the ground stinks, water stinks, dogs stink, people stink, everything stinks, and everything sticks. Eww.

To crown a semester made of many difficulties, the force of "tsuyu" drags me down further. A meteoropathic lunatic as I am, you see that this season of the year, although it is nearly summer as stated by the position of the earth relative to the sun, isn't pulling out the best of me. What it's pulling out of me is only my energy.

It is in these days when depression becomes my best advisor, it is in these days when I think more about myself and my "first world problems", the well known mantra of what am I doing here and all that….

Well, now, I could just do that….or instead I could go out anyway and meet up with one of the most insightful people and the best life coach and friend I know. Nope, he's not coach D -that's the sports master. I follow coach U for what concerns the personal stuff. I love our introspective talks, I love his useful life hacks, he's always got something new to suggest. We spend hours and hours mentioning books, people -inspiring, influential people- and real cases, we share and compare experiences. And if we do so while sitting inside a cool cafe in Roppongi Hills, watching the uniform grey sky, it's even better. We jump from sociology to psychology, to physics, to computer science, to biology, to behavior analysis, we touch work, colleagues, we move onto friends old and new, we proceed to meditation and healing, philosophy, we weigh the environment we grew up versus the environment we live our adult lives, we plan ahead what to do and where to go next….I always learn a lot from those conversations, I always go back home feeling lighter and richer. 

Today my friend's encouragements energized me and I felt good as it hadn't happened in a long time now. I now know that I have to try physics, not machine learning (I am not giving up on a machine gun against my neighbor though) approaches, to understand stuff and I have to think the way buddhists do. Easier said than done, knowing myself, but see how long I can keep this state of mind for. 

"You don't control what happens to you but how you respond to that. So you may as well respond well." - Ryan Holiday at "Authors at Google"

**************

Siamo ufficialmente entrati nella stagione delle piogge, e assieme a essa arriva anche quello stato di miseria e disagio in cui cadiamo inevitabilmente. L'aria umidiccia non ci rinfresca per nulla dalla calda estate giapponese, le giornate grigie e piovose non lasciano spazio ad altro che al desiderio di starsene a letto tutto il giorno. L'aria e' maleodorante, così come il terreno, l'acqua, i cani, le persone, tutto. E tutto e' appiccicaticcio. Bleah.

A coronare un semestre pieno di difficoltà, ci mancava la forza della stagione piovosa per spingermi ancora più in basso. Da buona meteoropatica lunatica, capite bene che questa stagione dell'anno -seppure e' estate così come si evince dalla posizione della terra rispetto al sole, non rivela certo il meglio di me. Anzi, al contrario si porta via tutte le mie energie.

E' in giorni come questi che la depressione diventa la mia migliore consigliera, e' in questi giorni che mi metto a pensare a me e ai miei "problemi da paese industrializzato", tipo il classico mantra del cosa sto facendo eccetera…

Beh, potrei fare esattamente così…oppure potrei uscire di casa e incontrare una delle persone più profonde e il miglior amico e maestro di vita che conosco. Amo le nostre chiacchierate introspettive, amo i suoi trucchi per affrontare la vita, ha sempre qualcosa di nuovo da suggerire. Passiamo ore e ore a parlare di libri, di altre persone influenti e di casi veri, condividiamo e confrontiamo esperienze. E se ciò accade in un bel caffè a Ropponghi Hills mentre guardiamo il cielo grigio uniforme, e' ancora meglio. Passiamo da sociologia a psicologia, a fisica, informatica, biologia, analisi del comportamento, parliamo di lavoro, colleghi, amici vecchi e nuovi, continuiamo con meditazione e cure, filosofia, soppesiamo l'ambiente in cui siamo cresciuti con l'ambiente in cui viviamo, pianifichiamo cosa fare e dove andare…insomma, io imparo sempre tanto dalle nostre conversazioni e torno sempre a casa più leggera e più ricca.

Oggi l'incoraggiamento del mio amico mi ha dato un po' di energia e mi sono sentita bene come non succedeva da tanto tempo ormai. Ora so anche che devo applicare la fisica e non algoritmi di apprendimento per capire le cose e dovrei pensare di più come i buddisti. Facile a dirsi, conoscendomi, ma vediamo per quanto tempo riesco a mantenere questo stato mentale.


"Non puoi controllare quello che ti succede, ma il modo in cui reagisci. Quindi tanto vale reagire bene" - Ryan Holiday, scrittore, in una sua apparizione a Google.


No comments:

Post a Comment