Friday, December 26, 2014

Cheesemas 2014

I woke up in the morning, early as my usual, just in time to see the sunrise and later the gorgeous blue clear sky. I got up and I felt exhausted, and both happy and sad. Happy for how the Christmas dinner went, for how my guests mingled and chatted, exchanged presents and, later, evil looks during the bingo game (you know, everyone is everyone's enemy when it comes to winning prizes…). I was also happy for the massive amount of foods and wine, good wine, we had, and for the fact that Christmas traditions were, once again, observed so that I didn't feel nostalgic. But I was also sad, because the house was empty, silent (exception made for my lovely neighbor upstairs you all know), suddenly stripped of any warmth. I was sad because melancholy caught up with me. 

I also felt sorry because once I looked at what was left of the dinner of the day before, I realized that I totally forgot to offer some of the stuff my friends brought…I know that in the confusion of eating/drinking/talking triathlon one doesn't pay attention to a couple of things, but, well, you know, as a host I should be the one who keeps control of the situation, so I always feel bad when I open the fridge the day after and notice an unopened cake box…fortunately, this time, the volume of leftovers was manageable, and I am sure my lovely guests won't mind if I slowly finish the cheese and the cake (makes an awesome and festive breakfast!) within the next few days!

Those who had to leave to catch their last train, know that those of us who stayed longer shamelessly celebrated Cheesemas (cheese being another thing I forgot to put on the table, bad bad bad me for letting this one slip too)...

We were 19 people this year, all beautiful and fun people, gathering while a hint of snow tried but failed to coat Tokyo, Santa came to visit us and give each of us a secret present, and we even had grand prizes for the Tombola game (Italian bingo). I should have known that just one round wouldn't have been enough, I should have planned for a back-up round with more prizes, but, heh, I ran out of ideas when I got the presents for the first one already…fortunately we had chocolate and alcohol which stood a chance to be won. Who doesn't want to win a bottle of wine? Come on!

For the ones interested in the menu, here's a quick list of what we prepared: lasagna, arancini, potential veggie pies (these ones were my back-up plan should we run out of food, as they are quick and easy to bake on the spot), Swedish meatballs and saffron breads, cheese assortments, fried chicken, dumplings, super pretty cakes. I lost the count of how many bottles of wine we had…but I would say we were well covered.

These are times I wish I lived in a palace, one of those with a huge ball room so that I could invite hundreds of people each time.

Anyhow, now the thank you notes…

Thank you Chung for the alternative to turkey, your CFC (Chung's Fried Chicken) disappeared in no time. No leftovers. Ha!
Thank you Sanna and Fredrick for giving me yet another reason to love Sweden. After kex, marabou and berry jam, saffron bread earned a spot in my cupboard.
Thank you Andrew for keeping up with my healthy habits. I owe you a veggie pie.
Thank you Yi for the dumplings and for bringing your lovely wife and son. I hope we weren't overwhelmingly loud.
Thank you Jayson for introducing us to Mason, I am sure that form now on he'll feel loved. Just don't listen to Andrew.
Thank you Michiel for not being able to decide on which cake to buy. Don't fix that!
Thank you Diane for the cutest Christmas cake! Other than the truce beheading of the sugar Mickey Mouse, it felt like we were at Disneyland.
Thank you Anna for finding my fav Christmas sweet and for joining even though you had a heavily jet-lagged friend to take care of.
Thank you Mickael for the cheese, and for your personal rendition of the "Jingle bells" song. I will cold-sweat every time I will hear that song again from now.
Thank you all for the amazing selection of drinks, beers and wines, for bringing a present (nice to see all the many ideas people came up with), and above all for BEING present.

****************

Mi sono svegliata la mattina, presto come al mio solito, giusto in tempo per vedere l'alba e poi il cielo chiaro e limpido. Mi sono alzata sentendomi distrutta, e felice e triste allo stesso tempo. Felice per come e' andata la cena di Natale, per come i miei ospiti si siano intrattenuti tra di loro, si siano scambiati i regali, e, dopo, come si siano lanciate occhiatacce di sfida al momento della tombola (si sa, tutti diventano avversari di tutti a tombola). E ero anche felice per la quantità enorme di cibo e vini, vini buoni, e per il fatto che ancora una volta la tradizione natalizia sia stata osservata, così da non sentire troppo la nostalgia. Pero' mi sono anche rattristata, perché la casa era vuota e silenziosa (eccezione fatta per la vicina di sopra che tutti conoscete), derubata all'improvviso di calore, mi sono sentita un po' cosi. 

E mi sono anche dispiaciuta perché quando ho visto tutta la roba che era rimasta dalla cena della sera prima mi sono accorta che non ho servito alcuni dei piatti che i miei amici hanno portato…lo so che nella maratona di mangiare e bere uno non fa caso a tante cose, pero', in ogni caso, essendo io quella che dovrebbe appunto fare in modo che ciò non succeda, mi sento in colpa quando poi la mattina apro il frigo e trovo una torta neanche spacchettata….per fortuna, stavolta l'ammontare di avanzi non e' stato eccessivo, e sono pressoché certa che i miei ospiti non se la prenderanno se pian piano esaurisco i formaggi e il dolce (funge da una colazione ottima e festiva) nei prossimi giorni!

E gli invitati che sono andati via per non perdere il treno sappiano che quelli rimasti abbiamo ripreso a mangiare e ci siamo tuffati sui formaggi che -mea culpa- mi sono dimenticata di mettere in tavola...

Quest'anno eravamo in 19, tutte persone belle e divertenti, che si sono riunite mentre un accenno di neve provava a far capolino su Tokyo, ci siamo scambiati i regali e abbiamo anche giocato a tombola. Avrei dovuto prevedere che un giro solo non sarebbe stato abbastanza, avrei dovuto pensare a premi per un secondo giro, pero' era già stato abbastanza difficile farsi venire idee per il primo giro di tombola…ma fortunatamente tra cioccolata e alcol, abbiamo organizzato una nuova giocata. E poi, chi e' che non vuole vincere una bella bottiglia di vino? Daiii!

Nel caso ci fossero lettori interessati al menu: arancini, lasagne, torte salate in potenza (nel senso che avevo gli ingredienti, e nel caso i piatti che avevamo non fossero stati abbastanza mi sarei messa a fare due o tre torte sul momento), polpette di carne, panetti allo zafferano, vari tagli di formaggi, pollo fritto, involtini, torte carinissime. Ho perso poi il conto di quante bottiglie di vino abbiamo fatto fuori, ma in ogni caso posso dire che eravamo ben coperti.

E' in questi casi che penso che mi piacerebbe vivere in un palazzo, uno di quei posti con una sala enorme così che posso fare centinaia di inviti per ogni festa.


Comunque, devo semplicemente ringraziare tutti per la collaborazione, il contributo in termini di roba da mangiare e da bere, per aver portato i regali (che poi e' stato interessante vedere che idee uno di fa venire) e soprattutto per essere stati presenti.










2 comments:

  1. Ah il pollo fritto c'era!
    Meno male...
    Mi mancate, un abbraccio grande
    Franca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si, si, c'era...meno male davvero! :)
      Mi manchi anche tu Fra! A prestissimo!

      Delete