Saturday, May 2, 2015

Hound duties - good and bad

I don't need to worry where I am going when I walk the dog, nor how long I have been walking him for: if either I take a wrong turn or I want to go back home too early, he simply sits down in the middle of whatever road. Let the night walks alone, which are actually more than fine, morning walks can be a problem if running on a tight schedule (you have a meeting at 9am and doggy is stubborn enough to stop and sit...makes your patience go north).

I learned about when he's going to growl (so I can reassure him), who or what he's going to chase (so I can make detours in our walking route), when he's thirsty (today he just stopped at a water fountain, giving a clear message), when he's understood me (he stops at crossings), when he's happy (he acknowledges my presence), when he's annoyed (he snubs me). It's not even been a week together and I am already sad every time I have to leave the dog alone, because I know he knows that his expectations of going out were crushed. What's going to be of me once I'll return to my ordinary life?

I am winning his trust a bit more each day: one day he decided he can involve me in his game (he comes to me holding his camouflaged pet bottle toy asking for rough play), then that he can groom me by licking my hands and arms and neck and face, then that he can also jump and bite when we are at the park. The long intervals between playtime are plain simple ignoring my presence.

I can take the dog jogging with me, and he seems to like it very much, actually being the one to start the faster walk. It goes seamlessly, until he catches a strong odor, and stops abruptly. That's when I nearly dislocate my shoulder.

Walking a dog in the park at night is a blissful routine: not only I am safer than I can possibly be (try and approach me in the dark, see who will become the victim...), but I also get to exercise, breath fresh air, see the moon through the trees, think. He receives in a walk through the park more compliments than I have received in my life. He's told he's cute, cool, terrific, smart, handsome, he draws everyone's attentions, kids want to touch him (unaware they represent bite size treats), there is even a nut case guy I've spotted around every day who says who knows what and he's praised the dog. In a word he's a star.

As I was warned, I am confined to one tiny tiny corner of the bed. The rest, is his.

*************

Non mi devo preoccupare di dove vado o di quanto tempo ci impiego quando sono a passeggio col cane: o faccio la strada sbagliata o rientro prima del previsto, lui semplicemente si ferma e si siede nel bel mezzo della strada. Ora, nella passeggiata serale ci puo' anche stare, ma il problema e' alla mattina...se un per esempio ha un impegno alle 9 e lui decide di fare i capricci, ecco che la pazienza si perde subito.

Ho imparato tanti segnali, tipo quando sta per ringhiare cosi che lo tranquillizzo, chi o cosa decide di inseguire cosi che posso cambiare tragitto e evitare tragedie, quando ha sete (non c'e' messaggio piu' chiaro del fermarsi davanti a una fontana), quando mi capisce e si ferma agli incroci, quando e' felice (mi considera), quando e' indispettito (mi ignora). Ora, non e' neanche una settimana che mi prendo cura di un cane che gia' mi sento triste ogni qualvolta devo lasciarlo a casa, perche' so che sa che la prospettiva di una passeggiata e' svanita. Che ne sara' di me quando tornero' alla mia vita di prima?

Un pochino ogni giorno sto ottenendo la sua fiducia: prima decide che mi puo' fare giocare con i suoi pupazzetti, poi decide che si puo' dedicare alla mia pulizia leccandomi mani braccia collo faccia, poi decide persino che mi concede il gioco duro dandomi morsi e saltandomi addosso. Nei lunghi intervalli tra un gioco e l'altro semplicemente non mi degna di confidenza.

Posso andare a correre e portarmi il cane che pare gli piaccia tanto, infatti e' lui il primo che parte con la corsa, e il tutto va benone fino al momento in cui si ferma di botto perche' ha sentito un odore forte. E li' ecco che mi parte una spalla.

Il rituale della passeggiata serale nel parco e' proprio una benedizione: non solo sono piu' al sicuro che mai (provate ad avvicinarmi mentre passeggio il cane e vediamo che alla fine e' la vittima...), ma in aggiunta faccio esercizio, respiro aria fresca, guardo la luna tra gli alberi, penso. Ora, l'amico a quattro zampe in una sola passeggiata al parco riceve tutti i complimenti che io ho ricevuto in tutta la mia vita: carino, bello, simpatico, fichissimo, eccetera. Pure il matto del parco, il tipo che vedo tutte le sere, farfuglia qualcosa che sicuramente e' un complimento, i bambini vogliono accarezzarlo, ignari del fatto che rappresentano un bocconcino succulento, ognuno si gira e commenta. Insomma, lui e' una celebrita'.

Di questo ero stata avvisata, che del letto a me tocca solo un angolo, mentre il resto delle due piazze e' suo.




No comments:

Post a Comment