Sunday, September 27, 2015

Late summer in Catania

It is taking me time to process all that has happened over the past month…I sat foot on three nations, I explored the old city of Istanbul, the european side, I visited family, I went to the seaside, I rediscovered one of the most lively towns in Europe, Barcelona, I attended a work related event in a surprising seaside spanish town. On top of these many activities, I tried to see people as much as I could, without taking too much time away from my beloved parents.

Now, a month after, I went back to my office desk and panicked when I realized I had forgotten my laptop password! I guess it can be taken as a good sign…

But let's focus on Sicily first. Of the three weeks spent on the island, barely one could be dedicated to beach hopping and suntanning. But the weather conditions were so gorgeous that even with just one day I'd have been more than satisfied. Summer still remains the best season to return home.

I discovered a pretty beach terrace in one of the most unthinkable places of all, a stone's throw from Catania's historical city center: behind central station. In fact, it was one of the oldest beach terraces in Catania, later closed and recently renovated and reopened. One had to walk through a railway underpass to get to a wooden platform in full 50's style, equipped with changing cabins, tanning beds, umbrellas, showers, and a bar. Metal stairs went directly down into the deep water, of a nice turquoise color thanks to the volcanic black rocks that make up this part of the coast. Such a setup of wooden platform is very common in Catania, as the coastline here was shaped by ancient eruptions of our volcano. Because rocks are slippery, and home for crustaceans and sea urchins, a deep dip is to be preferred to a walk into the water, hence the platforms.

I started my vacation with a mini high school reunion. One of my old schoolmates picked me up at the airport, we spent all day at the above mentioned beach terrace, then met few other schoolmates at a pizzeria by the sea for dinner. I think, so far, it was the best welcome back home I've had.

I even indulged in a vacation within the vacation. I took advantage of my uncle's empty house in the city for a few days, strategically located by the coast, so that I could simply walk down to the platform by the sea in 5 minutes. People who use this terrace are hard core suntanners: no shade whatsoever and lots and lots of tanning lotion from morning to evening. Late summer, the platform is mainly populated by oldies, their skin pitch dark and wrinkled, who want to hang out with their oldies friends. Because in my country people are loud, in the open air setting of the beach terrace, one can also pick up bits and pieces (more like an entire discourse, actually) about their lives and problems. In this sense, my vacation within the vacation was also an anthropological study.

I ate a lot of food. S*itloads. I am still salivating at the thought of it. And I don't fit in my jeans now.


I discovered a new viewpoint I didn't know about. A small, beautiful baroque church stands on a side of St Agatha Cathedral. In that church one can go up a number of stairs and reach the dome from where it is possible to have an amazing view over the town, from the sea to the mountain. Lucky that I look up from the cathedral entrance, and I saw people at the top having a great time. Without wasting time further, a friend and I went there, timing it with the sun setting.Stunning.

I showed Taormina and its Isola Bella to a friend. My love for Taormina is known. The scenery one can enjoy from the many lookout points is breathtaking, and Isola Bella is not much different. The peculiarity of this island, a giant rock more precisely, is that it is reachable by walk. There's a thin 5 meters strip of pebbles beach that surfaces only with the low tide and allows easier access to the island. It was the first time I went down to the beach, and I think also the last. The shore is so thin and so crowded that the person next to you is actually with their feet on your beach towel and the pebbles are so big they are in fact stones. Not much a problem for walking, but it's laying down that hurts. There were also too many Russians, loud and drunk who made relaxing impossible. Pity, because the water was crystal clear.

I drove nearly every day. Mostly was to get to the city centre, boring hours spent on the highway, but several times I also embarked on a new trip to remote destinations. Small towns in the Sicilian countryside are separated by acres and acres of land, they are elevated with respect to the farmed ground, and roads to get there are often curvy with lots of hairpin turns. All that transforms simple driving through the country into an enjoyable journey. I already miss that.

Even after three full weeks in Sicily I feel I should have stayed longer, or maybe it's just because I am already back to daily life. Either way, I shall return.

*************

Mi ci vuole del tempo per ricapitolare quello che e' successo il mese appena trascorso…ho messo piede in tre paesi, ho esplorato la città vecchia di Istanbul, la parte europea, sono andata a casa a trovare la famiglia,  sono andata al mare, ho riscoperto una delle città più vibranti dell'Europa, Barcellona, ho preso parte a una conferenza di lavoro in una sorprendente cittadina spagnola. Oltre a tutte queste attività, ho anche cercato di incontrare quante più persone possibile, amici e parenti, senza togliere troppo tempo a quello passato con i miei genitori.

Ora, un mese dopo tutto ciò, torno alla mia scrivania e non ricordo più la password del pc!! Magari lo prendo come un buon segno…

Ma preoccupiamoci della Sicilia per ora. Delle tre settimane sull'isola, appena una e' stata dedicata alle spiagge e all'abbronzatura. Comunque, le condizioni meteo erano talmente spettacolari che mi sarei accontentata anche di un solo giorno con un sole così. Eh, si, l'estate resta sempre il periodo migliore per tornare a casa.

Ho scoperto un lido carinissimo proprio a due passi dal centro storico di Catania: dietro la stazione centrale. In verità e' uno dei più vecchi della città, poi chiuso e solo recentemente rimesso a lucido e riaperto. Bisogna attraversare i binari da sotto tramite una galleria pedonale e ci si ritrova indietro negli anni 50, in un lido bianco e azzurro corredato di cabine, sdraio, ombrelloni e bar. Come da convenzione per i lidi in questa parte di costa vulcanica, delle scalette portano direttamente a mare, cristallino e di un bellissimo color turchese.

Ho incominciato la mia vacanza con una mini riunione tra compagni di scuola, assieme sin dalla mattina fino alla sera. Il benvenuto migliore.

Mi sono concessa una vacanza nella vacanza. Visto che casa in città di zio era disponibile, ne ho approfittato per starmene tranquilla in città e per di più a due passi dal mare. Li' mi aspettava un solarium che e' un vero e proprio paradiso per gli appassionati di abbronzatura: una piattaforma sotto il sole dalla mattina alla sera, niente ombrelloni. Il periodo di settembre si vedono di solito i vecchietti, tutti scuri e rugosi, che usano il solarium come un punto di ritrovo con altri anzianotti e li si raccontano tutto da problemi a preoccupazioni a lamentele. E siccome da noi si e' abbastanza vocioni, ecco che ho ascoltato i discorsi di tutti, finendo così per fare un esperimento antropologico, più che una vacanza al mare.

Ho mangiato un sacco. Così tanto che ora non entro nei miei jeans.


Ho anche scoperto un nuovo punto di osservazione prima sconosciuto. Davanti alla cattedrale di sant'Agata c'e' una bellissima chiesa barocca con una cupola visibile. Fortuna volle che dalla cattedrale ho guardato in alto e ho visto gente a godersi il panorama, così io e la mia amica siamo andate subito. Giusto in tempo per il tramonto. Bellissimo.

Ho portato un'amica a Taormina e l'isola bella. Si sa che amo Taormina. La vista che si ha dall'alto del paese e' mozzafiato, come lo e' l'isola bella. La cosa particolare di quest'isolotto e' che rimane collegato alla terra da una sottile striscetta di sabbia, così che si può camminare avanti e indietro. E' stata la prima volta che andavo alla spiaggetta di isola bella, e credo che sarà anche l'ultima. Infatti, innanzitutto la spiaggia e' talmente piccola e talmente affollata che la gente praticamente ha i piedi sulla tua tovaglia da mare, e poi la spiaggia non e' fatta di sabbia o ciottoli, ma pietre. Che non e' tanto un problema il camminarci sopra, quanto lo sdraiarcisi. E poi era piena di russi, ubriachi e caciaroni, tanto che rilassarsi era impossibile. Un vero peccato per il contorno che non va, perché li l'acqua e' proprio cristallina.

Ho guidato quasi ogni giorno. Per la maggior parte era per raggiungere la città, ma a volte mi sono lanciata in esplorazione. Le cittadine dell'entroterra siciliano sono spesso separate da terreni coltivati, e spesso si ergono su colline o crostoni di roccia così che per arrivarci bisogna far strade tortuose e in salita. Il che mi piace parecchio e mi manca già.


Anche dopo tre settimane piene in Sicilia sento che avrei voluto restare di più, o forse la penso così solo perché sono tornata alla vita di sempre. In ogni caso, ritornerò.












No comments:

Post a Comment