Monday, October 5, 2015

Barcelona - バルセローナ

My European break continued in Barcelona. It was an important and necessary stop for two reasons: I really really really wanted to see how the city changed from last time I visited (15 years ago, gasp!), and I had to attend a conference in a town not far away form Barcelona.

I had only vague, scattered memories of my Spanish vacation, just a few streets, a few monuments. But they all resurfaced when I was walking the streets again. I remembered my trip and my schoolmates, one of them asking to have his eyes lined dark so he could look stoned and go buy weed, another one of them escaping a pickpocket attempt at the Ramblas…it all came back. 

My stop-over in Barcelona was only two days, but those two days were grand, I think I have never explored so much in so little time. Now I can't precisely match a street with a building or a church unless I track them down on a map, but it doesn't matter. I had a great time anyway and was babysat by good girl friends who made sure I didn't miss a place neither a bite.

I basically saw everything there was to see and even more than that, a great mix of tourist and less tourist spots. Urban architecture in Barcelona is amazing, it mixes royal wealth with modernism, art nouveau and gothic, with astonishing results…one name for all is Antoni Gaudi (if you don't know who he is and what he's done, well, shame on you). I saw also a lot of integration of the old into the new, like the old market in the gothic neighborhood transformed into archaeological museum (it shows an old town underneath the current one). Even the art angle was interesting, I saw all shutters on shops were decorated, old doors in the Born (mainly) neighborhood painted, sprayed or something, I saw a lot of art, and creativity.

But that's not all. At night one looks at the architecture in a different way, and one pays more attention to the atmosphere, the vibe, the social interactions…things always get better at night. More friends joined the party, we checked maybe the most stylish rooftop bar in Raval, one with a great 360 view. It was only the first of many top-down observation points…in fact, the arena rooftop, Montjuic, the hotels offered more than one stunning cityscapes.

When I organized my trip I thought I had been lucky enough when I 1) found a conference I could attend in Spain, 2) found a conference I could attend in Spain near Barcelona, and  3) found a conference I could attend in Spain near Barcelona and meet my friends and a cousin of mine, too! No, I was even luckier than that. 

I was there for the opening of the celebrations of La Merce' (religious celebration of the lady of mercy), one of the most important events of the year. And I didn't know about it at all beforehand. In Barcelona huge concert stages pop up everywhere like mushrooms in the days of Merce', Gegants (giants) parades go on in every neighborhood where people carry giant paper statues often followed by firecrackers and fireworks, and strong and agile men compete in the building of human towers. I mean, it was insane and it wasn't even the day of the celebration, it was the week before!

Being in Barcelona around the Merce' meant also that I could visit many of the monuments and palaces, normally closed to the public the rest of the year, for free. Really, lucky me!.So I entered the gates of the palace where the Spanish royals stay when they are in Barcelona. Nice, tiny rooms, each with a function, heavily decorated and heavily furnished, but stunning nonetheless. 

Every corner of that city had its own reason to be memorized, assimilated, capture and framed. I loved the vivid impression of Barcelona I could save this time, compared to the faint one long time ago. I think I was too young to appreciate it fully and too busy trying to stay out of trouble.

Departing from Barcelona marked the end of my holidays and the return to real life. It was hard to say goodbye, but I have an unfinished business with the city. Sooner or later I'll take care of it.

**************

La mia visita europea continua con Barcellona. Fermarsi qui era importantissimo e anche necessario per due ragioni: intanto volevo proprio tanto vedere quanto la città fosse cambiata dall'ultima volta che ero li (15 anni or sono!), e poi perché dovevo andare a una conferenza non molto lontano da Barcellona. Avevo in effetti ricordi vaghi e sparsi, il nome di una via, una chiesa, poco più. Ma tutti i ricordi sono ritornati alla memoria quando mi sono ritrovata di nuovo per le strade.

Il mio soggiorno a Barcellona e' stato di soli due giorni, ma non potevo chiedere di più. Ho visto così tanto che non penso sia rimasto molto da scoprire. Certo, a patto di avere per mano una mappa della città, non mi ricordo più adesso quante piazze ho visto e come si chiamavano le vie o le chiese, ma non e' poi tanto importante. Di sicuro le amiche con cui mi sono ritrovata hanno fatto in modo che non mi perdessi nulla, ne' del posto, ne' del cibo.

Praticamente ho visto tutto quello che c'era da vedere e anche di più, un misto di posti turistici e non. L'architettura a Barcellona e' veramente interessante, combina modernismo e monarchia, arte nuova e gotica, e con risultati strabilianti..un nome per tutti e' Antoni Gaudi (e se non lo conoscete, vergognatevi). Ho anche notato molte integrazioni tra vecchio e nuovo, come ad esempio il vecchio mercato coperto nel quartiere gotico che ora e' stato trasformato in museo archeologico. Li' si vedono le rovine di una antica città sotto di quella attuale. Poi ho notato con piacere che c'era molta arte in giro, che fossero graffiti, o installazioni, o addirittura murali, o dipinti sulle saracinesche dei negozi o edicole. Insomma, tanta ma tanta bella arte e creativita.

Non e' tutto qui. Arrivata la sera, uno si concentra non solo sull'urbanistica, ma anche su atmosfera, società, andamento generale…tutto sembra diverso alla sera, si uniscono altre amiche alla comitiva, si fa un salto ai bar sui tetti degli alberghi, come quello al quartiere Raval che aveva una vista a 360 gradi su tutta la città. Ma quella e' stata solo la prima di tante vedute spettacolari…non dimentichiamoci infatti degli altri alberghi, Montjuic, la arena, eccetera.

Quando stavo organizzando le mie ferie, pensavo che ero già fortunata per 1) aver trovato una conferenza a cui poter andare in Spagna 2) aver trovato una conferenza a cui partecipare in Spagna, vicino Barcellona e 3) aver trovato una conferenza a cui partecipare in Spagna, vicino a Barcellona e incontrare li amiche e addirittura una cugina! No, sono stata ancora più fortunata.

Mi sono trovata del tutto inconsapevolmente a Barcellona per l'apertura dei festeggiamenti della Merce' una delle feste religiose più importanti di tutto l'anno. In occasione della Merce', a Barcellona fioccano eventi musicali, canori, danzanti e tanto altro. Le sfilate di Gegantes (giganti) popolano le strade di tutti i quartieri, seguono poi petardi e fiaccole, e gare che vedono possenti e agili uomini fare a gara a chi costruisce le torri umane più alte. Insomma, proprio tanto bel da fare, e questo non e' neanche il vivo della festa, che sarebbe stata da li a una settimana. Immagino cosa possa essere, se già mi e' sembrato tanto all'apertura..

Un'altra bella cosa era che, sempre in occasione delle festività, molti dei palazzi e musei che sono chiusi al pubblico nel resto dell'anno, per una giornata sono invece aperti e con ingresso libero. Davvero, davvero fortunata che ho beccato pure il giorno giusto per questo. Sono così andata nel palazzotto che i reali di Spagna utilizzano quando si recano a Barcellona. Le stanze erano piccole, forse eccessivamente decorate e piene, ma pur sempre bellissime.

Ogni angolo di questa città ha le sue buone ragioni per essere memorizzato, assimilato, immortalato. Conservo immagini vivide di Barcellona, stavolta, rispetto a quelle di molti anni fa. Allora ero troppo giovane per apprezzarne la bellezza in pieno e troppo preoccupata a stare fuori dai guai. 

La partenza da Barcellona ha segnato anche la fine delle vacanze e il ritorno alla vita di tutti i giorni. E' stato difficile separarsene, ma ci sono questioni irrisolte tra me e la città che prima o poi andranno appianate...
























No comments:

Post a Comment