Tuesday, January 19, 2016

2016 dental odyssey

It seems 2016 can be the year of many firsts…it is now time for a dentist visit in Japan. Dun dun dun!
While I was vacationing in the hot and sunny Melbourne, I started accusing annoying pain right where wisdom teeth should be. Yes, they are growing and they are swelling my gums. Nothing too serious yet, but worth checking.

So I suck up my fear of the dentist (don't we all are a little) and I go look for one. I thought of the dental hospital, attached to the dental university we have in town, assuming they must know what they're doing there. I thought dentists at a university must be super experienced, considering that they teach students as well and have many guinea pigs to practice on (including myself, sigh), but I didn't consider the fact that they would bounce me back and forth form a department to another for an entire morning.

I show up at the hospital, I fill a form and I am sent to general dentistry for a check. All good, all good. I enter a huge room that looked like a company open space office, only it had dentist chairs instead of desks. Scary. 

A young lady checks my mouth, and after I told her my wisdom teeth were hurting she (sadistically?) went and pressed and punctured the aching area, asking whether it hurt…hello? I just told you? She then calls the dentist who now has to check too to make sure she was right. Ouch and ouch! Hello? I just told her? She just tortured me? He sends me to another department to take a panorama image of my teeth, which turns out can't be done because I have pierces in my ears (nonsense), which means pressing a tiny plate onto the already aching, already sore, already tortured gum and X-ray my jaw, whose photo is sent back to the previous doctor, who well thinks to check my mouth one more time, followed by the student…hellooooo? You just tortured me 30 min agoooo? You think it's dramatically changed state?

Verdict: I need a surgeon. WHAT? Surgeon? Geez.

I am juggled to a third room where another young dentist checks my mouth (again) and tortures me (again), who says that, regardless of pierces, I have to get a panorama image, which means I go back to where I was just 35 min before and receive another shot of X-rays. After that I am sent home since that day they're all busy and can't do more. I shall return next week, thanks see you. So, five spins of the wheel of torture, three hours and two X-ray images later I am still at square one.

While I wait for the day of the appointment to come, the pain goes away.

One week later I am again at the hospital, the same doctor shows me a nice halloween smiley (mine) from a computer and tells me he's going to operate on me, but after he's checked my mouth again, just in case…

At this point, trying to buy time, I ask him a million other questions, I ask to show me my X-ray again and I make up my mind: no tooth extraction, thanks. 

You can say I chickened out, well, fair enough, I did too. But I saw that my teeth have some space to grow, so I will let them.

So ends my dental odyssey. For now.

On a side note, I was impressed with the old (I mean ancient old hardware and software) but efficient computerization of the hospital: patients receive a card upon first time registration that's tied to your name and patient ID, which is itself tied to a digital medical record that can be circulated throughout the entire hospital. As I mentioned before, after I got X-raid in one department, the images were already sent to the dentists in the other two departments so all they had to do was open my folder and read out. For every time I go to that hospital now, I insert my card to a reader machine that spits out the day's agenda and before leaving I again insert the card in the machine that spits out the bill for the day's treatments, to be paid at the same machine. Awesome. Imagine if Italy worked that way too...

****************

Pare che il 2016 sia un anno di varie prime volte…e' tempo di una visita dentistica in Giappone!!
Mentre ero in vacanza nella calda Melbourne, ho risentito di dolori proprio li dove stanno i denti del giudizio. Eh si, stanno crescendo e infiammano le gengive. Niente di veramente serio al momento, ma meglio farli controllare.

Così metto da parte la paura del dentista e mi metto a cercarne uno. Ho ben pensato di andare all'università dentistica che e' associata all'ospedale qui in città, pensando che sappiano bene il loro mestiere da quelle parti, visto che ci sono dentisti che insegnano sul campo, con molti casi cavia (tra cui me) da studiare. Pero' non avevo pensato al fatto che mi avrebbero palleggiato da stanza a stanza per un'intera mattinata.

Allora, arrivo all'ospedale, riempio un modulo e vengo mandata a dentistica generale per un controllo. Bene, bene. Entro uno stanzone che sembrava un ufficio aziendale, solo che a posto delle scrivanie c'erano sedie da dentista. Paura.

Una ragazza mi controlla la bocca, e dopo che le ho accennato ai denti del giudizio doloranti lei (sadica) va a premere e punzecchiare l'area dolorante e addirittura mi chiede se fa male…ma, dico? Non te l'ho appena detto? Poi chiama il dentista che deve a sua volta controllare e usa lo stesso procedimento. Ahia! Scusa? L'ho appena detto a lei? Mi ha appena torturata? Il dentista mi manda quindi a un altro dipartimento per fare una lastra panoramica, che pare non può essere fatta perché, udite udite, ho i piercing all'orecchio, e quindi invece mi vedo infilare una lastretta in bocca che devo pressare sulla parte già infiammata, dolorante e torturata, per fare un'istantanea dei molari, la quale viene poi inviata al suddetto dentista che pero' prima pensa bene di ricontrollarmi la bocca, non si sa mai…e poi nuovamente la studentessa….scusateeeeee? Mi avete torturata solo 30 minuti fa? Pensate sia cambiato qualcosa?

Comunque, il verdetto e' che ho bisogno di un chirurgo. Come? Un chirurgo? Ohmamma.

Vengo sbattuta in un altra stanza dove un altro giovane dentista ricontrolla e ritortura, e poi dice che senza panoramica dentale non può fare nulla, quindi eccomi li che, alla faccia dei piercing( lo dicevo io che era una cavolaia), torno dove stavo solo 35 minuti prima e mi faccio nuovamente irradiare. Dopo di che mi mandano a casa per quel giorno visto che non c'e' spazio per me. Devo ritornare tra una settimana, arrivederci. E quindi, dopo cinque giri della ruota della tortura, dopo tre ore e due radiografie, sono di nuovo punto e a capo.

Ora, il bello e' che nella settimana di attesa, il dolore mi passa del tutto.

La settimana successiva torno all'ospedale e il dottorino di prima mi mostra un bel sorriso da scheletro (il mio) da un monitor e mi dice che siamo pronti all'estrazione. Ma no, aspetta che prima controlliamo ancora una volta, non si sa mai…

A questo punto io, cercando di guadagnare tempo, gli faccio un milione di domande e guardando e riguardando la lastra gli dico che no, oggi non operiamo, ho cambiato idea. Potremmo benissimo dire che e' stata la paura dell'intervento, e forse lo e' anche, pero' io nella mia panoramica ho visto che lo spazio per i miei denti c'era quindi li lascio crescere fino a che si può.

E qui finisce la mia odissea dentistica. Per ora.

A parte, invece, va la constatazione dell'arcaico (in termini di software e hardware) ma efficientissimo sistema informatico dell'ospedale: i pazienti la prima volta ricevono una tessera che funge da cartella medica elettronica universale. Come avevo accennato, seppure la radiografia ai denti mi e' stata fatta in un dipartimento separato, gli altri due dentisti che mi hanno vista avevano già le immagini nel loro computer. Gli e' bastato caricare il mio file e aprire le immagini. Ora, tutte le volte che torno in quell'ospedale, basta che inserisco la mia tessera in un lettore che mi sputa fuori la lista di visite della giornata e alla fine mi sputa fuori il costo di tutto, che si paga pure alla cassa automatica…mitico. Immaginatevi se fosse così anche in Italia...


No comments:

Post a Comment