Monday, November 7, 2016

About a reunion -- past and future

One of the highlight of my visit home was a school mates reunion. We are talking about primary school reunion. We are talking about school kids meeting up 25 years later reunion. I don’t know how I ended up there, but I did. All I know is that a friend of mine from my home town contacted me giving me a day and a place, sort of setting me up. Oh dear.

In my past visits to my hometown I had occasionally bumped into a couple of those friends sometimes, while I hadn’t seen others since we finished school. We were also delighted by the presence of our school teacher as well, who couldn’t recognise any of us at a first glance. But she could remember my two-handed writing skills and my drawings. Also, everyone was clearly curious about my job and the place where I live, but mostly my job. I had a hard time trying to explain what I do for a living, and some of the questions I got asked were even harder to find an answer to. Sigh. Why didn’t I become a school teacher! 

It was not so bad in the end, but I was struck by how my old school mates looked after so many years. The class was not complete, as several of us now live far away, a few others had other plans already, and so on. In the end we were only eight. With us, the husbands/wives and the children, except for ehm, me, and another one who were with nobody. They all were copies of the small town social model: never moved too far away, stay at home wife, working husband, kids already the age of what we were 25 years ago…

Thinking of it now, had I stayed in Sicily after university instead of thinking bigger, perhaps I’d be myself married to a good enough man from my area, perhaps with kids, perhaps not even working despite my computer science degree…I imagined how my life would have been *if*…and I pushed that thought away in terror. Yes, I am too picky to get content, too independent to get bound, too different to fit in that reality.

No, right now I am still allergic to any comment (which I get a lot) about a possible returning back. No, no, no, for now let me simply satisfy your curiosity and answer your questions.

******************

Uno degli avvenimenti salienti della mia visita a casa e’ stato una riunione tra compagni di scuola. E stiamo parlando di una riunione di compagni di scuola elementare. E stiamo parlando di compagni di scuola che non sono più tali da 25 anni. Non so come sia stato possibile, eppure ero li. Tutto quello che so e’ che una mia amica, nonché compagna di scuola elementare, mi ha contattata dandomi una data e un posto, quasi a non darmi scelta. Vabbe’.

Nelle mie visite passate al mio paese d’origine mi era capitato di incontrare alcuni di loro in giro, mentre invece altri non li vedevo proprio dalla fine della scuola. Siamo stati anche fortunati nell’avere con noi la nostra maestra, che di primo acchito non e’ riuscita a riconoscere nessuno, anche se invece si ricordava benissimo della mia scrittura a due mani e dei miei disegni. Ovviamente erano tutti molto curiosi di sapere cosa faccio e dove vivo, ma specialmente che lavoro faccio. Ho avuto non poche difficolta a spiegarlo, e alcune delle loro domande erano ancora più difficili da rispondere. Ahh, ma perché non ho fatto anche io la maestra!

Alla fine non e’ andata male, ma devo dire che sono rimasta colpita da come i miei vecchi compagni fossero diventati dopo cosi tanti anni. Erano tutti copie di quel modello sociale di paese che li vede: mai andati lontano, moglie a casa, marito al lavoro, figli della stessa eta’ che avevamo noi 25 anni fa…

Che poi pensavo che se fossi rimasta in Sicilia dopo l’università invece di pensare più in grande, magari adesso sarei anche io sposata, possibilmente con figli a carico, e possibilmente non starei neppure lavorando alla faccia della mia laurea in informatica…ho immaginato una mia vita alternativa e ho cacciato via l’idea con terrore. Ebbene, sono troppo esigente per accontentarmi, troppo indipendente per vincolarmi e troppo diversa per quella realtà.


Diciamo per ora che sono ancora allergica a ogni tipo di commento (che accade di frequente) su un possibile rientro. E ora facciamo che continuo a soddisfare la vostra curiosità e a rispondere alle vostre domande.



No comments:

Post a Comment