Sunday, November 6, 2016

In Sicily -- Celebrations

Once again this year, time came to go back to Sicily and visit family and relatives.

The reason for my visit was special, since we all gathered to celebrate my parents' 50 years of marriage! Yes, they've been together that long. What a milestone!
We all came from every corner of the world, myself being the one with the longest distance to cover, to all witness such a long lasting relationship and to take part to the celebrations.

As I was so far away, I wasn't directly involved in the preparation and organisation prior to the event, and I was definitely suffering from the impact with the comeback as everything was planned for the day after my arrival. I flew and traveled for more or less a day, arrived the night before the big day, luggage didn't make it with me on my last flight (fortunately I got it the following day just a few hours before the ceremony), and in addition I had to greet everyone and do my part as a daughter (official ceremony chauffeur, heh) in the whole shebang. At one point I even stopped feeling pain in my feet (I was wearing new shoes), as I was just high on adrenaline for 48 hours straight and couldn't relax until few days after it was all over.

Anyway, seeing everyone again was undoubtedly nice, especially those I hadn't seen in years, although I am not used to such huge parties with loud family members anymore. But even if just for one hour with everyone, it was all worth the trouble.

As for the celebration, it obviously started with renewing the vows in church and exchange of the new rings, my parents managed to find the same priest who married them 50 years ago, go figure! Then the party moved to the restaurant where it went on an on through photos, excellent meals, dances, musical performances by brothers, nephews and especially dad (whose known natural environment is a stage), and presents.

The family overdose continued with yet another dinner-gathering among cousins. Not everyone could be present, sadly, due to distance (our family suffers of such disease, unfortunately) but good wine kept us in a good mood anyway.
Only the fourth day after my arrival, and only after all major parties were over could I finally get rid of a merciless headache and overall fatigue...more or less when it was about time to leave again.

The reminder of my stay was therefore spent doing the bare minimum, chat with guests, make a couple of dresses for myself, eat (d'uh), and just take time to impress as many sensations as possible into my brain to refresh my old memories and make new ones.

*************

E di nuovo giunse il tempo di tornare in Sicilia per visitare familiari e parenti.

Ma stavolta il motivo della visita e’ stato speciale, infatti ci siamo riuniti per festeggiare i 50 anni di matrimonio dei miei. Ebbene si, che traguardo.
Siamo venuti da ogni parte del mondo, con me quella proveniente da più lontano, per essere testimoni di una relazione tanto lunga e per partecipare ai festeggiamenti.

Siccome sono tanto lontana, non sono stata coinvolta direttamente nei preparativi e nell’organizzazione dell’evento, e ho sofferto dell’impatto con il rientro visto che tutto era pianificato per il giorno dopo il mio arrivo. Ho viaggiato per quasi un giorno intero, sono arrivata la sera prima, la mia valigia non mi ha seguito per l’ultimo tratto del mio viaggio (ma per fortuna l’ho ricevuta il giorno dopo giusto in tempo per la cerimonia), e in più dovevo anche salutare tutti e fare la mia parte (autista ufficiale). A un certo punto ho anche smesso di sentire male ai piedi (avevo scarpe nuove) proprio perché ero semplicemente sotto adrenalina per 48 ore filate e non mi sono rilassata se non qualche giorno dopo, quando tutto era finito.

C’e’ pero’ da dire, anche, che e’ stato bello rivedere tutti, anche quelli che non vedevo da anni, seppure non sono più abituata a feste con cosi tanta gente in una sola volta. Anche se e’ stato un pochino per ognuno, ne e’ valsa la pena.
Per quanto riguarda i festeggiamenti, abbiamo prima iniziato ovviamente con il rito in chiesa e lo scambio degli anelli, e addirittura c’era lo stesso prete che ha sposato i miei genitori ben 50 anni fa! Poi ci siamo spostati al ristorante per il ricevimento, con un susseguirsi di foto, buon cibo, esibizioni canore e musicali dei miei fratelli, nipoti e soprattutto mio papa (il cui ambiente ideale e’ notoriamente il palcoscenico), e poi regali a pioggia.

L’overdose di famiglia e’ poi continuata il giorno dopo con un altro piccolo gruppo di cugini. Peccato che per colpa della distanza (una malattia di cui la mia famiglia soffre parecchio) non c’eravamo tutti, ma il buon vino ci ha tenuti tutti allegri lo stesso.

Solo il quarto giorno dal mio arrivo, e solo dopo che tutte le feste maggiori erano state accantonate, ho finalmente potuto abbandonare un mal di testa costante e una stanchezza pazzesca. Praticamente quando era quasi tempo di ripartire.


Il resto dei giorni li ho passati facendo proprio il minimo, e cercando di imprimere quanti più momenti possibili in testa, sia vecchie che nuove sensazioni, cosi da creare nuovi ricordi e rinfrescare quelli vecchi.








No comments:

Post a Comment