Saturday, May 6, 2017

Expat problems VI - Clothing

I fought the urge for ten years, but I couldn’t do it anymore: I bought a sewing machine, eventually.

For those who don’t know, I know how to make clothes. And one may think why on earth would I want to make my own clothes when I live in Tokyo? Eh, well, because expat problems.

I am not sure how many out there are like me who:

-don’t like Japanese fashion
-don’t fit in the Japanese sizes
-grew up with an Italian sense of fashion (I mean, ITALIAN STYLE, man!)
-know how clothes should fit

I can’t count how many times I wanted to buy something but when I tried it on it just didn’t look right, it would pull on one side, or twist, or be too short on the arms, or be too large on the waist, and so on. If I really liked something, because of a pattern or a design, the tailor in me would immediately know what to do to fix it, so I would buy the stuff, then keep it until the next time I fly home and then fix it there with mum’s machines. In the end, thought, even the intention to buy clothes wore off (haha, pun), and I think I haven’t been shopping for clothes in years. It is also good for my finances, but also I have never been a big fan of shopping anyway.

Same problem happens with shoes, as even the shape and size of the shoes are different for the Japanese…but for that, alas, I can’t do much. I just ignore the whole shopping thing altogether.

But now. Now things have changed. Not much on the buying side, rather on the making side. I can now remodel, fix, change my wardrobe or create something form scratch (which is the part I like the most about sewing, the creativity it involves).

I don’t think I will now switch to full on tailoring, because I don’t quite know how to get all the stuff that I need, like fabric, but at least now I won’t have to wait months before working on a dress.

************

Per anni ho resistito alla tentazione ma alla fine non ho potuto: ho comprato una macchina da cucire.

Per coloro che non lo sanno, ebbene si, so cucire. E verrebbe da pensare perché mai a uno verrebbe in mente di farsi i vestiti quando si vive in un posto come Tokyo? Problemi da espatriati, ecco perché.

In ogni caso, non sono proprio sicura di quanti come me:

-non sono attratti dalla moda giapponese
-non entrano nelle taglie giapponesi
-sono cresciuti con un senso italiano della moda (cioè, dico STILE ITALIANO, cavolo)
-sanno come farsi i vestiti

Ho perso il conto di quante volte ho voluto comprare qualcosa ma poi quando lo indossavo c’era sempre un non so che di sbagliato, o tirava, o torceva, o era troppo corto di braccia, o troppo largo ai fianchi, eccetera. Se proprio mi piaceva qualcosa, o un motivo o proprio un modello, la sarta in me sapeva gia come fare per sistemare il tutto, cosi compravo la roba e poi aspettavo fino a quando tornavo a casa e usavo i macchinari di mamma. Alla fine, comunque, persino l’intenzione di comprare qualcosa e’ svanita e penso che sono anni che non faccio acquisti. La cosa fa bene anche al portafoglio, seppure non sono mai stata una fissata con il fare gli acquisti.

Lo stesso problema si presenta per le scarpe, che anche quelle sono di forma diversa. E pero’, per quelle non c’e’ nulla da fare. Posso semplicemente ignorare gli acquisti.

Ma ora le cose sono cambiate. Non tanto nel comprare quanto nel fare. Ora posso cambiare, sistemare, rinnovare il mio guardaroba oppure creare qualcosa di nuovo, che poi e’ la cosa più bella del farsi i vestiti, quella della creatività.


Penso che non passero’ completamente alla sartoria totale, visto che non so bene neanche come e dove trovare il resto delle materie prime che mi servono, pero’ almeno adesso non dovrò aspettare mesi prima di lavorare a un vestito.



No comments:

Post a Comment